14 Days in August or The Tumor that wasn’t

     I spent more time on the title then I did thinking about how I would write this, because truly this is the hardest thing that I’ve written.

     I went to the hospital in August certain this was just another flare-up of my pancreatitis.  They accessed my port line, ordered meds and sent me off to cat scan after telling me that I could have ice chips after the scan.  It’s  hours later and no one is talking to me, except to tell me I’m still npo waiting for the surgeon to see me.  I can’t wait any longer and ask to see the house supervisor.  She tells me there is something wrong and that’s why I have to wait to see the surgeon.  When I asked her what was wrong she showed me the preliminary cat scan report.  It showed a 2 and a half centimeter tumor on the head of my pancreas, by this time the doctor arrived and said it looked like pancreatic cancer.  I asked what else it could be, and he said pancreatic cancer.  When I asked the Dr of Radiology what it could be, he said pancreatic cancer.  I’m starting to sense a theme here.  The hospital doc offered to keep me in over the weekend but I chose to go home.

     I followed up with my doctor on Monday films in hand and asked him what it could be.  He told me pancreatic cancer and sent me to a follow-up a hundred miles away but they’re not going to be able to see me for 2 weeks,  Scary.  Left the doctor’s office with fistfuls of prescriptions and pills with the hope that one of these things would help me cope with what I considered my death sentence.

     In some ways those 2 weeks were a gift.  The people most important in my life and people who became important in my life were there for me, to nurture me, heal me, and pray for me.  It was then that I understood the power women wield when caring for their sick and praying for their dying,  It’s beautiful and I’m privileged to participate in it,  My husband told me I hold his heart in my hands and he lives and breathes at my wish.  It was the scariest time too, I had friends over and we just held each other and cried. But there was healing in that too,  Sometimes we put make up on and styled our hair for no other reason than we wanted to look pretty.  There was healing in that too.  I started making plans for my own funeral I knew what I wanted to wear and who my pallbearers were,  I found healing in that too.

     Then Rudy took me to the Big City hospital where I was to stay for a few days,  They showed me the first cat scan where the tumor was and you could clearly see it.  They roto-rooted me from one end to the other if you know what I mean.  Instead of doing everything 2 days apart they could have done everything on one day and just met in the middle.  I really don’t think my humor was appreciated there.

     They sent me back home and the cat scan was repeated on the same machine that found the tumor.  Lo, and Behold, the tumor is gone, there is nothing there.  I have no explanation for it but that God thought to grant me a miracle.  I’m humbled by it, I don’t deserve it. but here it is.  Through God’s Grace I get to live a little longer


3 thoughts on “14 Days in August or The Tumor that wasn’t

  1. Praise God, your miracle is inspiring! After reading the post regarding your husband’s electrical accident….has he had any after effects from the accident? My father suffered a 250 volt shock 9 years ago and has several aligments to deal with in the aftermath. I was just curious if you two faced anything like this?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s